masterplumber.netthe logo

Do you know where your main water valve is?

One of the most important things to know about your house or apartment Is Just imagine: Your sitting at your computer looking at my web site (And thinking what a great web site) when suddenly water is coming down from the ceiling and dripping very close to your computer. You have no idea where the water is coming from.| what do you do? Simple, you turn off your main water shut off valve.  Oh you don't know where it is! now you have a problem. A broken pipe or washing machine hose can pour more then ten gallons of water a minute on to your floor or into your ceilings. the amount of damage water can do to your home is unbelievable.

So before you have a situation like this, make sure that you know where your main water shut off valve is, and that it works. I can not say where your valve is, so you will have to look for it your self. if you have town or city water chances are you will have a water meter, that is where your main valve should be, If it is in a difficult place to get to you should have a plumber come in and relocate the main valve to a more accessible place and change it to a Ball Valve. ( a ball valve has a lever type handle that turns the water off with just 1/4 turn) some towns don't have meters so you would have to look for the electric ground. Most electricians run a ground wire to the main water line where it first comes into the house. Have a professional locate it for you and make sure it is in good working order. Find a local Plumbing and Heating contractor If you are on a well look for a well tank. some tanks are in well houses and some tank are buried, but if all else fails you can always turn the power to the pump Off.