The almighty dollar was able to get the best officials (politicians) money could buy. IMHO.
Money Talks and Safety walks
The almighty dollar was able to get the best officials (politicians) money could buy. IMHO
PVC is a known carcinogenic and the fire department was on record that they would not fight a fire below ground level where plastic was used as the fumes would kill people long before the flames reached the victims.
Now NYC is increasing the height of the buildings where this proven toxic material can be used.
Home builders are dictating code policy as they are strictly bottom line pricing lowest bid wins and never a question of quality.
AAV's, wet venting, short radius drainage fittings and its getting worse .
I wish I had a dime for every boiler or hot water heater that was installed over 10 years ago and no one bothered to go back and check the safe operation or bothered to add the new updates as people are looking to be grand fathered in to avoid safety devices.
Install and forget until a tragedy happens then there is all kinds of finger pointing.
Sometimes we (LMP'S) are called upon to service a gas water heater, furnace, boiler, range or other gas equipment that appears to be producing less energy than the customer feels is adequate. Some of these calls are unfounded but others are legitimate complaints. After exploring many of the possible conditions that might be causing this problem, we quite often still can't come up with an accurate diagnosis.
There are times that for various reasons the appliance in question may not be utilizing gas at the rate of input for which it was designed. Therefore we must determine if the burner is functioning at its designed rate of consumption or if it is burning at a level less than optimal. This can be accomplished simply, by utilizing the gas meter and a watch with a second hand. To understand how to perform this procedure, the following basic information must be understood by the servicing technician:
Natural gas in this region has a heating value of approximately 1,000 British Thermal Units (BTU) per cubic foot (CF). This means that 1 CF of gas, when completely burned, will produce 1,000 BTUs of energy.
(NY varies between 900- 1,200 BTUs)
Gas appliances are rated by their manufacturers as to how many BTUs of energy they will produce or CF of gas they will consume for each hour the burner is in operation. This information will be found on the appliance's rating plate and is usually stated as, "INPUT [number) BTU/HR," Knowing that 1CF of gas can produce 1,000 BTUs, we must be able to assure that we can supply 1CF of gas for each 1,000 BTUs of rating.
To determine the actual input of gas being consumed by the appliance we can measure or "clock" the actual rate of input to the burner by reading the gas meter and timing the rate of gas consumption by the appliance.
The gas meter has various dials that indicate the volume of gas in CF that has passed through it. For this procedure we are only concerned with either the half (. 5) CF dial or the 2 CF dial.
To clock an appliance, perform the following steps in the order listed:
Shut all appliances and gas consuming devices except the one being tested.
Raise the thermostat or heat control setting for the appliance to a point high enough to insure that it will burn continuously without shutting down until you shut it down.
Start the appliance burning.
At the gas meter, accurately count the number of revolutions turned on either the . 5 CF dial or the 2 CF dial for exactly one minute (60 seconds). This will measure the revolutions per minute (RPM) of that dial. For example, the dial may have turned 2 times, or it may have turned 3.5 times, or 5.75 times, or any other reading higher or lower.
Multiply this reading by:
For the .5 CF dial--- RPM X 30 = CF/HR
Compare the number found in step 5 with the BTU input rating of the
appliance. If it is less than the manufacturer's listed BTU rating, the
burner is not being supplied with the proper volume of gas.
Some of the explanations for this may be:
Inadequate gas pressure from the gas supplier.
Obstructions or debris in the gas piping, valves or pressure regulators.
Undersized gas piping. <<<<<<< ( I see this all the time)
A defective appliance gas valve.
Clogged or improperly sized burner orifices.
Only persons properly trained to work with gas should attempt to do so.
I wonder how many 12 week wonders even knew this tid bit of information